Anyone planning to go in front of the camera usually has a few questions. What should I wear? What about jewelry and makeup? We all want to look and sound as good as possible, so here are a few tips to help prepare you for a video interview.
Tips for an On-Camera Interview:
- Wear solid colors. Jewel tones or pastels are best. Avoid white.
- Don’t wear small patterns or prints.
- Don’t wear big jewelry that moves and makes noise.
- Wear a lapel or v-neck to make it easy to clip on a microphone.
- Take off badges and pins.
- Wear powder on your face to reduce shine.
- Wear more makeup than usual if you want it to show up on camera.
- Wear hair spray or paste in your hair to minimize flyaway hair.
- Turn off phone ringers and other devices that make noise.
- Don’t chew gum.
- Speak slowly.
- Repeat the question in your answer. Example: What is your favorite color? “My favorite color is blue.” Not just “blue.”
- Begin with your name and title, “My name is..”
For more on video production, check out our blog “How to Produce a Professional Video.”